Saturday, May 16, 2009

Preakness

Due to my day job, I couldn't watch the Preakness when it happened live. Let me tell you, it was a horrible pain not to be able to see the race unfold as it happened. But my reaction would undoubtedly be just the same.

When Rachel Alexandra started to pull away at the top of the Pimlico stretch, tears started to threaten the back of my eyes. I knew they'd never catch her. It was an amalgamation of sobbing and laughing as she blazed in front of her male competitors and passed the finish clear; affirmation this filly is a living legend.

I'm still taking time to digest it all. Rachel Alexandra beat a talented field of colts on a track she didn't like, and she did so by a length. And what a surprise that Mine That Bird would be the main threat to come nipping at her heels! I'm still shell-shocked by that fact, and overcome with pride and happiness my Musket Man was again, still in the money to hold for third.

What a Preakness. And the NBC coverage was the best I've seen ever on that network. Kudos to NBC for giving the fans and the public what they really want: stories about the true contenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment