Saturday, May 2, 2009

What in the heck just happened?


This is most definitely not the scene anyone expected to see at Churchill Downs after the Kentucky Derby. A 50-1 longshot steals the Kentucky Derby, winning the race by 6 3/4 lengths (the longest margin of victory since Assault in 1946), and produces the second-largest payoff in Kentucky Derby history at $103 for a $2 bet.
I'm happy for Cool Cal, but I would be lying if I said I thought the best horse won today. What we did see is that Pioneerof the Nile is no slouch on dirt, being able to handle the slop in his first race over the surface, and that Musket Man is the real deal.
Congratulations to the winning connections!
More Derby and Oaks wrap-up to come, once home is reached and sleep is caught up on. But first, I will drive by Lexington and kidnap Curlin and ride him home to Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment